Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first album you bought with your own $
04-14-2015, 01:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM by Ms.Birdie.)
Big Grin  The first album you bought with your own $
With the money I had earned baby-sitting, I purchased Heart Like A Wheel, Linda Ronstatdt's signature album. I have NO regrets over that purchase.
"Love is a word that some entertain. If you find it, you have won the game."
04-14-2015, 03:33 PM,
RE: The first album you bought with your own $
Slade - Slayed?

I was only 10 and I wanted a tattoo on my knuckles.   Big Grin
04-14-2015, 05:41 PM,
(04-14-2015, 03:33 PM)Darran Wrote: Slade - Slayed?

I was only 10 and I wanted a tattoo on my knuckles.   Big Grin

Did you ever get that tattoo? Tongue
04-14-2015, 08:32 PM,
Cheap Trick - At Budokan

Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

"I Want You to ROCK YOUR SPEECH!!!"
04-15-2015, 07:40 AM,
(04-14-2015, 08:32 PM)Jonny Con Carne Wrote: Cheap Trick - At Budokan

Hmm. I think I've heard of that album. He he. Tongue
04-15-2015, 07:44 PM,
(04-15-2015, 07:40 AM)Ms.Birdie Wrote:

Hmm. I think I've heard of that album. He he.  Tongue

My father bought Heaven Tonight after seeing them on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and I was hooked. 

Bye-bye, so long, farewell, bye-bye, so long, sayonara, bye-bye, au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen,
JCC

04-17-2015, 08:16 PM,
(04-15-2015, 07:44 PM)Jonny Con Carne Wrote:

My father bought Heaven Tonight after seeing them on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and I was hooked. 

I got hooked on Cheap Trick after I borrowed my friends copy of their debut album. After I returned it to him, I was like, "I can't live without that album!" So I went to the local record store (which I can't remember the name of) and got my very own copy. I played it a lot, a lot. Seriously, I played it to point where I just wore it out. Over the years I've had 5 copys: 3 on vinyl and twice on CD.

Oh s*it I went way off topic. Sorry about that.

So anyway, um, my parents did not like music that I played. My Mom loved Dean Martin and my Dad was a big country-western fan. They never came around to liking Cheap Trick. Tongue
04-17-2015, 11:26 PM,
(04-17-2015, 08:16 PM)Ms.Birdie Wrote:

I got hooked on Cheap Trick after I borrowed my friends copy of their debut album. After I returned it to him, I was like, "I can't live without that album!" So I went to the local record store (which I can't remember the name of) and got my very own copy. I played it a lot, a lot. Seriously, I played it to point where I just wore it out. Over the years I've had 5 copys: 3 on vinyl and twice on CD.

So anyway, um,  my parents did not like music that I played. My Mom loved Dean Martin and my Dad was a big country-western fan. They never came around to liking Cheap Trick.  Tongue

I was lucky that my parents were fans of rock. They saw Led Zeppelin back in the day and took me to my first Cheap Trick concert.  They still go to shows and I took my Dad and my son to see CT last summer.  Priceless.

JCC

04-18-2015, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM by Ms.Birdie.)
(04-17-2015, 11:26 PM)Jonny Con Carne Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 08:16 PM)Ms.Birdie Wrote:

So anyway, um,  my parents did not like music that I played. My Mom loved Dean Martin and my Dad was a big country-western fan. They never came around to liking Cheap Trick.  Tongue

I was lucky that my parents were fans of rock. They saw Led Zeppelin back in the day and took me to my first Cheap Trick concert.  They still go to shows and I took my Dad and my son to see CT last summer.  Priceless.
Led Zeppelin, too? You lucky bastard! Big Grin Actually, I think my parents were put off by rock music. I remember this one time when my dad looked the cover of At Budokan and said (and I kid you not),   "who's that woman with the blonde hair?"
04-18-2015, 10:33 AM,
Def Leppard - Hysteria
I could use a little more cowbell
04-18-2015, 09:44 PM,
(04-18-2015, 10:33 AM)jc1303 Wrote: Def Leppard - Hysteria

I haven't thought about that album (or band, for that matter) in years. Tongue
04-20-2015, 09:19 AM,
Kiss Destroyer. Made the money by cutting lawns. My grandma took me to Woolworths to get it.
04-20-2015, 10:15 AM,
My very first album with my own money was Cheap Trick In Color. I was 13 years old and used money I got for my birthday from Grandma. I wonder if she ever knew that her $10 gift turned into a life long love of this band for me? Thanks Grandma!!

I also grew up in a musical house. Everyone but my dad played an instrument and I played multiple ones. We always had musical instruments laying around our house and my mother was a big part of that. She had a beautiful voice and used to sing at people's weddings, funerals, etc. She often sang solos in church while I accompanied her on the piano. She loved all genres of music and always had something on the stereo from classical to jazz to rock. She LOVED the Rolling Stones and I remember we used to have a picture of Keith Richards on our refrigerator....you know, as if he was part of the family!
Debbie Lowe
"Thought no one could hear me, I was goin' insane...!"
"Dance, dance, dance across the floor, a lust for life I've never seen before"
04-20-2015, 12:04 PM,
Smile  RE: The first album you bought with your own $
(04-20-2015, 10:15 AM)Debbie Lowe Wrote: My very first album with my own money was Cheap Trick In Color.  I was 13 years old and used money I got for my birthday from Grandma.  I wonder if she ever knew that her $10 gift turned into a life long love of this band for me?  Thanks Grandma!!  

I also grew up in a musical house.  Everyone but my dad played an instrument and I played multiple ones.  We always had musical instruments laying around our house and my mother was a big part of that.  She had a beautiful voice and used to sing at people's weddings, funerals, etc.  She often sang solos in church while I accompanied her on the piano.  She loved all genres of music and always had something on the stereo from classical to jazz to rock.  She LOVED the Rolling Stones and I remember we used to have a picture of Keith Richards on our refrigerator....you know, as if he was part of the family!
Thank you for sharing this story. Sounds like your Mom was a terrific lady, if you don't mind me saying. I giggled at that Keith Richards bit. That $10 she gave you, changed your life, huh?
My uncle John played piano. He tried to give me lessons when I was about 12. It didn't work out. I was a difficult student. To this day I can't play the piano. Tongue I wish he was still around. I miss him very much. I believe he was the only person in my family that played an instrument.
04-20-2015, 01:56 PM,
My first album with my own money was probably Meet the Beatles. I loved them from the start. Luckily, I grew up in a house where my father loved music (my mother didn't, but she put up with it). I had 8 brothers and sisters and we all love music but our tastes are very different. I have a couple of sisters who like James Taylor and other soft rock stuff. Me, I want it loud. When I went to see KISS last year, I was in heaven and they just sneered. Silly women.